Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

#188--Reunion



Here I am, sitting on the front porch with my great grandmother, Charity Mears Hannah.  I wanted to chat with her about a couple of people her family and what they are doing now.  Charity was born in Ohio on 11 FEB 1806 to David and Elizabeth Mears.  She married by John M. Hannah on 22 April 1822 in Brown County, Ohio.  They were married by David Rankin, a well-known abolitionist

 “Grandma, I am interested in learning a little about some of your brothers and sisters.  What can you tell me about Aunt Catherine. “

“Well, Catherine was born on March 1, 1799, in Kentucky. She is 6 years older than I am so she often took care of me when I was little.  I loved to play dolls with her.  When I was older, she sometimes showed me how to cook.  She married Robert Legate and they had two children together. After he died in 1822—that made her so sad--, she married Israel Donnelson Sayre and they had seven children. You know that Israel bought a good bit of land in Ross and Prairie Townships.  He’s a successful farmer.  While I do not ask, I think they have a good bit of money.  Ever since he died in 1848, she and the children have run the farm.”

“Wow, I did not know all that.  You know, I have never met Aunt Elizabeth because she still lives in Indiana.  What do you know about her?”

“I have not seen her in a very long time, but we do occasionally write to each other.  You know what? She is named after our grandmother, Elizabeth Mears and because of that when grandmother died, she inherited part of her estate.  She had a rather unusual will—she left her possession to those children who were named for her or for her husband, David.  Didn’t seem to fair to me, but they were her things to give away as she wished.”

“I agree.”

“Anyway she married Jonathan Shreve in October 15, 1812 in Indiana. They had 12 children in 25 years. . They had a lot of children, probably more than ten, I do not know their names off the top of my head, but will get them for you later.  You know, she is ten years older than I am.  Very often, Mother would put her I charge of the younger children, especially me.  She is one of the people who taught me how to read.  If I am correct, Jonathan built a flat boat and moved his
family down the Ohio to Cross Plains, Indiana.  Elizabeth told me it was an easy journey. So day, I hope to see her.”
“So interesting, one more Grandma and that will be it for today.   I was wondering about Aunt Mary?”

“I have not seen her in a long time, because she lives in Brown County, Ohio.  I hear from her once in a while or when friends and family come to visit from Ohio.  She is a lot older than I am and I did not much to do with her when I was a child.  She married Lemuel Boyle Sayers and they had only one child, David Mears Sayres.  They live in Eagle township now; he retired from farming and is now working making cabinets.  One thing I do remember is that Mary made the best pies, particularly her peach pie.”


 “Thanks you do much Grandma for the information, I have a better understanding of your family, but maybe next week you can tell me a little more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment