Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Monday, March 25, 2019

#173--In the Paper--Divorce Confusion



The theme for this week’s challenge is “In the Paper.”  I love old newspapers.  There is a tremendous amount of information in them.  The advertisements can tell you which stores are having a sale, how much eggs or a loaf of bread costs, and if you look at the pictures, what kind of clothes were in fashion.  The social columns are a wealth of information.  In the Butler Daily Times, I learned that
my grandfather was home from school  and that my Great Aunt Lottie and her nieces were visiting her relatives  In essence, newspapers cover the daily life of the people and places where they lived as well as more unusual events.


I previously wrote about two unusual events that I found in the Butler Daily Times: the  Goose Saloon and about an incident at the Palace Hotel.  So this time I looked for another article and found one in the Brooklyn Daily Star for February 26, 1930.  The article involves two brothers, Harry Eitelbach and Frank Eitelbach.  They were similar in many ways.  Both were jewelers, both lived in Queens, New York, and both married women named Ethel.  They were different in that Harry’s wife, Ethel, wanted a divorce.  The newspapers described what happened:
I blogged about a gun fight at the

.


I would like to talk to both Ethels.  I would like to know what Frank and his wife told the neighbors about the situation.  I would also like to know from Harry's wife, what led to the divorce and how it affected their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment