Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

#154--John W. Hannah--What Happened?







The theme for this week is a random fact.  I tried to think of a fact that really did not fit with what I knew about a person.  My great grandfather, John Wesley Hannah, fought in the Civil War.  He enlisted in the Illinois 62 as a private, and by the end of the war was the Captain of his company.  I ordered his war records from the National Archives.  Everything looked find and rather routine in the records, he was where he should have been in terms of muster, carried out orders, and was selected to be the provost marshal at one point.  So you can imagine my surprise, when I found the following:

Head Quarters of South Kansas
Fort Gibson, Sept. 8, 1865

Special Order
No 147
Capt. John W. Hannah
County 62 Ill. Vet Infantry is hereby placed under arrest for disobedience of order and will confine himself to his quarters. 
By order of Liet. Colonel James True   
Commander of the District

Head Quarters of South Kansas
Fort Gibson  Sept. 10, 1865
Special Order 148

The Board of Survey convened for Special Order 47 is hereby dissolved. 
Captain John W. Hannah is hereby released from arrest.
By order of Liet Colonel  James True

There is no indication in the file exactly what happened to place him under arrest.  So if I would talk to John Wesley Hannah, I certainly would ask him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment