Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

#126--Close-Up of Mabel Jewell







One way to think about the theme of close is a close up picture of someone.   I inherited a box of small portrait photographs from my grandmother.  I believe the photos were exchanged between friends in the late 1800’s.  As I looked through them, I realized that I had several of my grandmother’s cousin, Mabel Jewell.  Perfect for this week’s challenge.  Mabel Jewell was born in 1874 in Brooklyn, New York to George  and Evalina (Cochrane) Jewell. Her brother Herbert E was born in 1876.

Mabel lived in Brooklyn her entire life, either with her parents and, once they were deceased, on her own.  Only the 1930 census lists an occupation for her, that of a teacher in a school for girls.  Mabel Jewell died in August 1952 when she was 78 years old.  She is buried in her
family plot in Greenwood Cemetery.

That is all I know about Mabel.  If I could talk to her, I would like to know more about her life?  Where did she go to school?  Did she travel?  What did she like to do?  Where did she work? I think I would also like to know where she got those incredible hats.

1 comment:

  1. Now there's a teacher with fashion sense! I hope someday you learn more about her. ~Valarie

    ReplyDelete