Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

#13 Happy Moither's Day Maria Huelster Eitelbach

For Mother’s Day, my college roommate, Faith, told me that I should do something about mothers.  While that was not what I was planning to do, it seemed like a great idea.  Thanks you, Faith.  

I decided that Marie Huelster  Eitelbach, my great grandmother,Oma, would be the focus of this blog. (See #7--The Picture on My Wall--Louis Eitelbach, for some more information.).  After all, she raised six sons, and I had some great old pictures of her that I could to use.  The first and third pictures I was sent by a cousin, who I met on Ancestry.  

Briefly, Maria was born in 1865 in Schmallenberg, Germany.  She was one of five children of Johann Huelster and Franzisco Monig.  In 1896, she and her husband, Louis along with their three oldest sons, came to the United States.  They had three more sons after they arrived.  


This first picture shows her as a young woman.


















I am not sure of the date of this, but I would guess maybe sometime in the 1920's.



I am pretty sure that this was taken by her son, Walter, whose hobby was photography.  This is the way I remember Oma, so I am pretty sure it was taken in the 1950's.

        


This last one shows Oma holding me when I was a baby.  




I do not remember much about Oma, but I would like to be able to talk to her.  If I could do that, I would like to know what it was like to deal with a family of six  boys.  Did she have any particular was to manage them.  What advice would she give to a woman about child raising. 

Happy Mother's Day, Oma.

What questions would you ask her?  You can put them in the Comments Section.











No comments:

Post a Comment