Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

#145--Happy Birthday--Darlington Peter Riley








How appropriate that this week’s theme is who is born closest to your birthday.  This week was my birthday and I was certainly interested to see who I share my birthday with.  Family Tree Maker was able to tell me that there were three people born on my birthday:  -Lemeul Elliott, Franz (Frank) Huelster, and Darlington Peter Riley.  I have previously blogged about Franz Huelster, so I needed to pick between the other two.  I settled on Darlington Peter Riley, as he was in my Hannah line.  I knew nothing about him except that he was the son of Nancy Hannah.    I am Nancy’s second great grand niece, which means that Darlington is a very distant cousin. 

Peter and Nancy Riley
Darlington Peter Riley was born on September 8, 1846, in Brown, Ohio.  His father was David Riley and his mother was Nancy Hannah, who had previously been married to Robert T. McKee.   On November 17, 1851, Darlington married Nancy F Haney in Pendleton, Kentucky. They had seven children together.

Darlington, who went by the name of Peter, in 1870 was a farmer living in Pendleton, Kentucky.  In the census from 1880 to 1920 he is described as a farmer in various small communities south of Cincinnati.  In 1930 he was retired and living with his daughter, Nellie Riley Wainscott. 

He died on February 1, 1936, in Walton, Kentucky, at the age of 89, and was buried in Kenton, Kentucky.







No comments:

Post a Comment