Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Monday, February 13, 2017

#100--Will You Be My Valentine?



While I was thinking about a Valentine Day blog, I thought I would do one on my postcards.  Then I remembered that I did that last year.  However, and fortunately for me, I had some vintage Valentine Day cards.  So that is the focus of this blog entry.

I had some idea that Valentine postcards evolved into cards and that is indeed true. In 1913, Hallmark sold its first Valentine card.  We do not know how many were sent then, but today about 150 million Valentine Day cards are sent—only at Christmas are more cards exchanged. Who gets the most?—teachers, then children, mothers, wives, sweethearts, and then pets. (I loved my dogs dearly, but it never occurred to me to send them a card!).

So here are a couple of the cards that I have.

  This one was sent to me by my father.  Given the hairstyle on the girl, I think it was sent in the 1960's. In line with the jewelry theme, inside it says: " In words of one syllable, you are a pearl."


 I am no exception to teachers getting Valentine cards, here is one that I got from one of my Sunday School students.  Its small size with the message on the front makes it look like the ones we see today.















Now I have always been a big fan of the Peanuts cartoons so
it should be no surprise that I would have a Peanuts Valentine card.  When it is opened, you find out that Lucy is making that Valentine out of Linus's beloved blanket!



                                                                                                                 






















I do not have a Pinterest Board of vintage card, but I do have one on Valentine postcards.  If you are interested, you can find it here:  Valentine Postcards.  Also on the right side of this blog, you can find my blog from last year on Valentine Postcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment