Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Monday, April 1, 2019

#174--Andrew Jackson Hannah and his brick wall


This week’s theme is a brick wall, a spot in your genealogy where you can go no further with a particular ancestor.  Sometimes that is not a problem as I do not want or need any more information and sometimes it is.  I have several brick walls and my most current one is Andrew Jackson Hannah (1818—19xx).  I found him while I was looking at my DNA matches.  Another woman and I share 22 centimorgans across two segments, making us fourth cousins to sixth cousins, according to Ancestry DNA.  As I understand it,that means that our common ancestor could be at the least at the great great great great grandfather level.  That also means I have been look in all the wrong places,
e.g. not far enough back.  Unfortunately, that is further back than either of the trees with Andrew Jackson Hannah in it goes, but provides me with a clue that I need to look at my 3rd great father and see what I can find in terms of his parentage.

But first, what do I know about Andrew Jackson Hannah?  What I know may help me figure out where to look.  He was born in 1816 in either Brown County, Ohio or Kentucky, although one person
thought it might be Pennsylvania.  He had a brother William, who was born in Ohio, and perhaps a sister, Jane.  He married Margaret C. Dunlap in Robinson, Pennsylvania, in 1850.  Margaret died in 1856.  She and Andrew Jackson Hannah had three children.   He then married Martha Jane Weaver and they had 11 children.  He lived in various counties in western Pennsylvania until 1875 when he moved to Ohio, Kansas.

So now I have three places to look—Brown County, Ohio, Kentucky, and Western Pennsylvania. All places where folks in my Hannah line have lived.  I have looked at all the Hannahs in Brown County and the two adjacent counties and can find no connections.  I have started reading A History of the Hanna Family by Charles Elmer Rice about the family of Robert Hanna and Elizabeth Henderson, who came to the colonies in 1763 and settled in Pennsylvania.  Several of their sons settled in Kentucky and Indiana.
It will take me a while to sort this group out, but I may find something useful.  There are two clusters of Hannahs in western Pennsylvania, one cluster is found in Hannastown, founded by John and Robert Hanna, and the other in Westmoreland/Armstrong county.

So I am slowly making a little progress, mostly by eliminating people.  Just wish I could talk to Andrew Jackson Hannah and ask him about his parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment