Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Monday, February 4, 2019

#166--Andrew McKee's Pension File



This week’s theme is surprise.  I was surprised last week when I by chance found information about a family in a cluster of families that I have been researching.  So for this week, I had to think about how I could be surprised this week.  Last year I went to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.  One of the things that I did was download the pension file of Andrew McKee, my 4th great grandfather.  A fellow researcher had been kind enough to send me what she had, but I was interested in seeing the entire file.  I have not looked at the file since I downloaded it. 

So I decided to read the entire file and see if there were any surprises in it.  The entire file is 60 pages—I believe I had about 20 to 30 pages that contained the documentation to get the pension for Andrew so there was more to read.  Unfortunately a number of the pages were not legible so I do not know what information I missed.  But there was lot of information.  Some of it I knew.  I was aware that Andrew McKee in 1776 enlisted in Captain Robert’s Company, Colonel Irwin’s Regiment. He was discharged in April 1777.  He re-enlisted in 1780 or 81 for 18 months and served with Captain Zigler’s regiment.  He was at the battle of Three Rivers, and at Saratoga where British General Burgoyne surrendered.   Further, he was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown, a battle that ended the Revolutionary War.  For serving to the end of the war, he received a bonus of $80.  He was granted a pension of $8.00 per month.  What I did not realized is that upon his death on June 18, 1835, his children applied for a pension for Andrew’s wife, Mary.  I was amazed at the amount of paper work getting the pension for her required.  Evidently proving two people were married was difficult. 

However, there was much more information in the file that did not relate to his war records and was useful in moving my genealogy forward.  Most of the information came from statements made on his behalf by his neighbors.  So what was I surprised to learn?  First, Andrew Mckee and Mary Bamford were married in 1770 near New London Cross Roads in Chester County, Pennsylvania.  Now I know where to begin to look for marriage records.   Second, he settled in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania
in 1799 with his wife and his nine children.  His oldest son, William, moved with his father, but bought his own farm, and did not live with his parents.  Third, my third great grandparents James and Nancy McKee Hannah and their children also moved with Andrew.  I have been looking for the birth records of their son, James Hannah, in Armstrong County so now I know I should look in the Chester County area of Pennsylvania.

The file contains not only the documents related to Andrew and Mary’s pensions, but also  number of letters requesting information about his war record.  I was surprised to find a letter from my great aunt, Cora Hannah Parke (Aunt Tim), inquiring about his war record. 

No comments:

Post a Comment