Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Monday, June 2, 2014

#17—Gertrude Richards –Saying “I Do”

Gertrude Richards

         June is the month of weddings so it seems appropriate to have at least one blog that features brides and their weddings.  Now I knew that my grandparents, Gertrude Richards and William D. Hannah were married  in 1902.   What I did not know were the details.

I had discovered that The PostCard has digitized and searchable copies of a number of newspapers from New York.  I decided to see what that site might have on my grandfather, William D. Hannah.  So you can imagine my delight when I found this announcement of their wedding from the Daily Standard Union: 

 Brooklyn, December 4, 1902.   
Standard Union:  Brooklyn, December 4, 1902. 
  
The marriage of Miss Gertrude Richards to William D. Hannah, of Auburn.
N Y . took place last night at the home of the bride's parents,  Mr. and Mrs.
Abiathar Richards, 124 Fort Greene Place. Miss Richards wore a beautiful
costume of white chiffon trimmed with repousse applique lace.  She was attended
by the groom's sister. Miss Hannah, as maid of honor. The bride’s brother. William F. Richards acted as best man. The parlors, where the ceremony occurred, were beautifully decorated with chrysanthemums, palms and trailing ivy. Promptly at 7:30 o'clock the
principals, surrounded by their friends and relatives, took their places under a floral
canopy, where the ceremony was per formed by Rev. Dr. Charles W. Homer of St. James Church. A wedding reception and collation followed. Mr. and Mr. Hannah then took a carriage to the station.   After a short wedding tour in the South, the Hannahs will return to Auburn, the groom's home, where they will begin housekeeping.

Among those present were Mr. and Mrs. Chester R. Ingersoll  Richards, Mrs. D. B. Dearborn,  D. B. Dearborn, Jr., Mrs. George F. Lewis, H. Lewis, Miss Lewis, Frank Morse,  Miss Morse, Mr. and Mrs. Irving Fisher,  Dr. Fisher, Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel
Fisher, Miss Edith Downey, John Downey, Jr., Mr. and Mrs. William Washburn.

I would love to more about that wedding.  If I could, I would ask for more information about her dress as well as what did the groom and bridesmaid were.  Also, what did you have to eat and drink?  Was there a cake?  Where in the South, did you go for your wedding trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment