Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

#170--My Not Bachelor Uncle




This week’s theme is bachelor uncle.  I looked and looked through my genealogy to find a bachelor uncle and was not successful.  So I decided I would just write about one of my uncle, who is not a bachelor, William Fisher Richards, my great uncle.

He was born in 1879 to Abiathar and Mary Jane (Cochrane) Richards.  Chester Ingersoll Richards  (1867--1940 ) was his brother and Gertrude Richards (1875-1960) was his sister.  I could not find much information about him.  I know , as a child, he was born and lived in Brooklyn, New York and then attended Union College in upstate New York.  From census data, he appears that he returned to Brooklyn and was employed in his father’s shoe business along with his brother, Chester.  He died in 1929 and is buried in Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York. 

While I do not know much about Uncle Bill, I do have some great pictures of him.

The one at the top of the page is of him on the left with this brother, Chester on the right.  It is rather interesting picture.  I cannot figure out if their mother was in the middle and for some reason her head was cut out.  At that time, there was something called a mother's chair, where the mother sat under a black cloth and could hold her children.


Here is the second one.  I am guessing he is about 6 or 7 in this picture.  There are many things I like about his picture. The way his hair is parted, his big eyes, the hat that he is holding in this hands, and the fact that only one of his feet is on the floor.  The chair he is sitting in is pretty impressive, too.  That is a whole lot of fringe on the bottom!











Here he is a little older.  I think this might be a picture taken for his high school or college graduation.  I like his jacket and the ruffles around the collar.














And this one is the only picture I have of him as an adult.  That bow tie is great.
















I would love to know more about his life. What he did.Where he traveled. Where he lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment