Welcome to my genealogy blog. Ancestors I Wish I Knew is a combination of genealogical information and stories about individuals in my family tree. The focus is on those from my Cochrane, Eitelbach, Merrett, Minarcik and Richards lines and their descendants.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

#163--Ususual Name--Meet Marinda


not Marinda Hannah as a child

I looked though the names of my ancestors and wanted to find that was unusual , but one that I thought was pretty.  One I would use if I were naming a daughter.  I finally settled on Marinda, the name of my great aunt, Martina Park Hannah.

I did a little research to find out about the name Marinda.  It is of Latin orgin, and means admirable or beautiful.  Some though it was a variant or Mary or Miranda.  It is not a popular name, ranking number 16329 in popularity.

Ironically, it seems that either Marinda or her sister Cora were found of their names, because they always used nicknames:  Marinda was Toots, and Cora was Tim.

not Inside Doerner School commencement card
not Marinda Hannah portraitMarinda Park Hannah was born on June 17, 1880, in Butler, Missouri.  Her parents were John Wesley and Jennie Sophia (Willey) Hannah. Marinda had one brother, William, and three sisters: Anne, Gertrude, and Cora.  Her mother died on July 23, 1887 and her father on March 10, 1898.  Marinda attended local schools in Butler, received a certificate from Doerner Piano School and graduated from Vassar College.  Shortly before her father’s death, the Hannah family moved to Auburn New York, where William Hannah and his brother in law Charles Ross, husband to Anne Hannah, were in the shoe business.

Marinda Hannah in profile
She married Edward Harrison DeArmond, a West Point Graduate, in Auburn, New York, on December 4, 1901. The DeArmonds had four children:  James Keller, Catherine, David, and Anne.  As a military family the DeArmonds lived in a number of different locations:   Fort Sill, Oklahoma; the Island of Jolo; Hawaii; Governors Island and Manil, P.I.. Her husband Edward Harrison passed away on October 21, 1948, in Kings, New York, while Marinda died on January 1, 1953.

Thanks to my cousin Anna for the pictures of Marinda which she found in a scarpbook,

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed learning about Marinda. We have to resist "correcting" the name when we think a transcriber misspelled it. It might be exactly what the ancestor was named.

    ReplyDelete